As we flow through Frankfurt Veena wondered aloud if we would ever be flying through that airport again. It was a very sinking feeling the last month in preparation for our R2I with all of the send off invites and parties, it left us second guessing if we were doing the right thing. We wondered if we would ever have such a good circle of friends. Nevertheless the wheels were in motion and there was no turning back.
Day 1: Dad picked us up from the airport at about 1 Am and the kids were all active. Neetu was excited about being in India while Nishanth was skeptical. I started the day with a visit to the temple and the day was spent setting up my routers and internet access and unpacking.
Day 2: Jet lagged, the kids struggled to stay in bed until 4 Am, they woke up their mutasha and amuma and made sure the house was all a buzz with activity. Since the kids seem to be well rested we decided to go to their school that day (a day before scheduled). The test was administered and Nishanth walked out in a short time while Neetu stayed longer. She did her best at what she knew of hindi. Math and English was a breeze for the kids. We were asked to come the next day to know the results.
- This was my first day of driving and took to the streets like a fish to water. I was surprised myself.. ! (pat .. pat..)
- Nishanth's protests about moving here were very vocal, he complained from mosquito bites to cows pooping on the street to garbage strewn everywhere and used that to to say "See I told you India is not good" and "I hate this place"
- Neetu for her part is a trooper, she was anxious about her test and was concerned that she did not do well in hindi
- Mom had a constant running fever that showed the exact symptoms as she had while visiting us last year
- Veena is in denial that she has actually moved and I am ready to pack all off us and return
Day 3: Called school by 9, no results yet, called again by noon, nothing yet. Went to school by 3 and met the principal and she said they are admitted and need to pay the fees. Phew .. some relief. Suggested she needs to take extra classes in hindi.
So after that conversation with the principal we asked for a tour of the school and they said they cannot do that and it is against the policy.. crazy shi@#$%^&*. So after all this we were back in doubt and comparisons to the US schools was strife and the thought of a return for the kids was back on the fore front of my thoughts. In Veena mind it was an option that was ruled outright.
Day 4: Off to the bank to get the DD for the fees to submit to the school, reached there by 9 and had to wait a good 45 minutes for the bank to open and people to start working and was asked to come after 12 to pick up the DD.
Picked up DD and off to school we went, the cash counter was closed so it has to wait until Saturday. Ordered the uniforms at school and as part of the process gained entry into the school so we helped ourselves to a tour until one of the teachers spotted us roaming the corridors and said we need to leave.
Why...? I hate this, and revives my memories about what I dislike about this country. As it turned out that the lady who asked us to leave was Neetu's teacher.
Back to the foreground, should I take the kids back to the lovely school and teachers they had? shot down again.
We went to the house of our neighbor a US returnee themselves, They had a daughter in the same grade as Neetu and it helped us somewhat with our doubts and feelings.
Day 5: With the schooling knocked out of our list but strife with speculation because of the unpleasant encounters we decided to continue with this school and re-evaluate towards the end of the year on other options if a need arises.
That evening we boarded the bus to Kannur to spend a few days before school opens with the next set of parents. As we boarded the bus Amma's health was beginning to deteriorate and fever was raising to unusually high levels.
As we were scrambling in the bus stop not knowing where the bus was supposed to come, Neetu broke down into tears as she was scared with the confusion and buses whizzing past so close. She said she was scared that we might miss the bus and when we compared it to waiting for a flight she goes "atleast we know the flight will come to this spot"
Day 6: All 4 of us slept like a log in the bus ride, it was cold and cozy. I decided to return the same day as I was pretty sure that amma would need hospitalization soon. The day in Kannur was peaceful, hot and a fish feast. Yumm... !
Day 7: Returned on whatever bus I could find, it was an uncomfortable ride back. That morning I got a crash course into the realities of traffic in Bangalore shuttling to the doctor and then to the hospital from there across Bangalore. The day was just crazy busy and at the end it was decided that she would get admitted the following day for a minor surgery.
So that was a very eventful 7 days and perhaps the most stressful one I have ever faced.